To root out ragging in all its forms from The Assam Kaziranga University by instituting anti-ragging measures and providing for strict punishments to be meted out to persons violating the Anti-Ragging Regulations of the University.
a) Supreme Court Orders, b) Assam Government Act, and c) UGC Guidelines
WHAT IS RAGGING?
Ragging is defined by the Supreme Court of India as:
- Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension there of in a fresher or a junior student.
- Asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not do in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
Likewise, The Assam Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1999, enacted by the Assam Legislative Assembly defines Ragging as:
- Either display or noisy or disorderly conduct or doing of any act which causes or is likely to cause social, physical or psychological harm
- Raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to any student in any educational institution and includes teasing, abusing of, playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to, such students
- Asking the student to do any act or perform something which such student will not, in the ordinary course, willingly do
PROHIBITION OF RAGGING?
Ragging within the University Campus including its Schools / Departments, Offices common areas, open spaces and hostels is strictly prohibited.
Ragging in any form is prohibited inside or outside the campus
PUNISHMENT FOR RAGGING
Those found guilty for ragging (both involved directly or aiding ragging) will be liable for one or more of the following punishments depending upon the gravity of the offence
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination / withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional / national / international events / tournament / festival
- Permanent Expulsion from the hostel / institution / university
- Rustication from the University for a period not exceeding 4 semesters
- A fine up to Rs. 2,50,000 (Rs. Two lakh fifty thousand).
- Collective punishment when persons committing or abetting the crime cannot be identified